This week as I was attending the AP Language and Composition conference, I had time during the breaks to peruse the internet for awesome articles about writing and indie publishing. I have several this week, so let’s get to it.
- Mergers – This article on “Digital Book World” by Jack W. Perry breaks down what the recent mergers of Penguin and Random House, Apple’s court cases and Barnes and Noble’s shake-up at the top could mean for you the indie publisher.
- Author Interview – Katherine Howe, NYT best selling author of Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and The House of Velvet and Glass is interviewed by Tom Young about traditional publishing.
- Startups and Flying Machines – Dan Cristo published a blog post about startups. It has some great information that could apply to indie publishers and how you could get off the ground.
- Creative Confidence Matrix – Mary Jaksch wrote a fantastic article about something she calls the Creative Confidence Matrix. It’s a great boost to your creative confidence.
- Promote Your Book for FREE – Savvy Writers & e-Books Online has offered a list of 50 websites that will promote your e-book for free.
- Why Blogging Is Key for Creatives – Studiovox posted a fantastic article about why blogging is the most important thing a novelist or creative person could do to stir the creative juices.
- J.K. Rowling’s Failures – Sam Marsden at The Telegraph reports on a mystery novel by J.K. Rowling sent in under a pseudonym which was rejected by publishers. Great story and will boost your confidence.
- The Importance of Mentors – Kelly Wilson over at Modern Life Blogs has a great article on the importance of finding a writing mentor to help you get clout in the publishing world.
- World-Wide Book Listing – This is a fantastic article from Savvy Writers & e-Books Online about how to list your book world-wide and several mediums to do so.
- Inklewriter – This is a very cool site which allows a writer to post their short stories and poetry on a world forum. It is great for the purpose of figuring out what to write and will help those who are suffering from writer’s block, or if organization is a difficult thing to master.
- What JK Rowling’s Cuckoo’s Calling Says About Being Discovered (fallsintowriting.com)
- Shelley’s death: A roundup of e-books and online resources (teleread.com)
- Morning Roundup: Why indie publishing beats a mainstream book deal; what makes a book readable; more (teleread.com)
- Not Exactly Snow White (but close) (bookshopsiouxfalls.wordpress.com)
- Self-publishing a book: 25 things you need to know (reviews.cnet.com)
- Morning Roundup: Are Books Obsolete? (teleread.com)
- What the Penguin-Random House Merger Means to You, Average Reader (theatlanticwire.com)